Friday, September 25, 2009

Beer: Lagunitas A Little Sumpin' Extra Ale



Beer Advocate Profile

Lagunitas Brewing Company
Petaluma, California
Double IPA
8.74% ABV

Talk about a helluva beer for a helluva price.  Expect a solid DIPA with a strong citrus/fruity character (grapefruit, orange) that is balanced with a good amount of bitterness from the hops.  The earthier elements of the hops (pine, grass) are also present, but the fruity characteristics of the beer dominate my palate.  Mouthfeel is probably a little heavy and syrupy, especially after a few sips, but that may be personal preference.  In my epinion, you can sacrifice a little of the hop profile in a DIPA for a crisper feel if you intend on emphasizing the fruit as much as this beer does.

Along with the Lagunitas Hop Stoopid, you can pick up a 22 oz of the Sumpin' Extra for about $4.50 which is absolutely ridiculous.  And I have to admit, the first couple of beers I tried from Lagunitas (can't remember which ones...) left me less than enthused, but this beer and the Stoopid have completely changed my mind.  I've had a few DIPAs that have cost a decent amount more, yet I would consider these two beers to be on par with those (Bell's Hopslam, I'm looking at you).   So pay that Loch Ness Monster tree fiddy to get off your lawn and head to your local store to pick up A Little Sumpin' Extra for fo' fiddy.

Very Highly Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment